Albatroz's unique proprietary technology aims to control extracellular matrix (ECM) remodeling in disease, with our initial focus on solid tumors and arthritis. Our novel ECM degradation target is a protein complex activated by a glycosylation pathway critically involved in the pathogenesis of these diseases.
CANCER: SOLID TUMORS
The ECM is a physical barrier preventing the growth of solid tumors in most organs of the body. Tumors need to destroy this barrier to create space for their growth and proliferation to other organs in the body.
We have developed unique therapeutic antibodies that block a tumor surface protein that is critical to the tumor's ability to degrade the ECM. Our antibodies thus block ECM destruction, stop tumor growth and help prevent tumor metastasis to other organs.
Destruction of the cartilage ECM is characteristic of many forms of arthritis, including osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
We are developing therapeutics antibodies that block the destruction of cartilage in the joints, thereby preventing the progression of arthritis and allowing the joint to heal.
- Ros M, Nguyen AT, Chia J, Tran SL, Le Guezennec X, McDowall R, Vakhrushev S, Clausen H, Humphries MJ, Saltel F, Bard FA. ER-resident oxidoreductases are glycosylated and trafficked to the cell surface to promote matrix degradation by tumour cells. Nat. Cell Biol. 22(11) 1371–1381 (2020). DOI: 10.1038/s41556-020-00590-w
- Chia J, Wang SC, Wee S, Gill DJ, Tay F, Kannan S, Verma CS, Gunaratne J, Bard FA. Src activates retrograde membrane traffic through phosphorylation of GBF1. eLife. 10:268678 (2021). DOI: 10.7554/eLife.68678
- Chia J, Tay F, Bard FA. The GalNAc-T Activation (GALA) Pathway: Drivers and markers. PLoS One. 19;14(3):e0214118 (2019). DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0214118
- Nguyen AT, Chia J, Ros M, Hui KM, Saltel F, Bard FA. Organelle Specific O-Glycosylation Drives MMP14 Activation, Tumor Growth, and Metastasis. Cancer Cell. 13;32(5):639-653.e6 (2017). DOI: 10.1016/j.ccell.2017.10.001
- Bard FA & Chia J. Cracking the glycome encoder: signaling, trafficking, and glycosylation. Trends Cell Biol. 26, 379–388 (2016). DOI: 10.1016/j.tcb.2015.12.004
- Chia J, Goh G, Bard FA. Short O-GalNAc glycans: regulation and role in tumor development and clinical perspectives. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1860(8):1623-39 (2016). DOI: 10.1016/j.bbagen.2016.03.008
- Chia J, Tham KM, Gill DJ, Bard-Chapeau EA, Bard FA. ERK8 is a negative regulator of O-GalNAc glycosylation and cell migration. eLife 3, e01828 (2014). DOI: 10.7554/eLife.01828
- Gill DJ, Tham KM, Chia J, Wang SC, Steentoft C, Clausen H, Bard-Chapeau EA, Bard FA. Initiation of GalNAc-type O-glycosylation in the endoplasmic reticulum promotes cancer cell invasiveness. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 110, E3152–E3161 (2013). DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1305269110
- Gill DJ, Chia J, Senewiratne J, Bard FA. Regulation of O-glycosylation through Golgi-to-ER relocation of initiation enzymes. J. Cell Biol. 189(5):843-858 (2010). DOI: 10.1083/jcb.201003055
- Tran LS, Leong KP, Bard FA. GALA drives arthritis and cartilage degradation by synovial fibroblasts. (manuscript in preparation).